Wednesday 8 July 2015


So I was recently asked to write a poem for the FDM Annual Marriage Retreat that our church does, a re-vamping for the couples to come along and be inspired by God to continuously work on their Relationships with God and their Spouse, 
I feel like I know more about marriage than I should  but the process was not overwhelming at all , I postponed it for a while , waiting for the moment that God would give me some inspiration, I'm 19, have never been in-love (except for with Jesus of course ;) - how was little old me supposed to know what to wright for couples who had been married 20+ years ?!
I was starting to feel abit at wits-end, the deadline was soon and I was in the middle of a holiday with my family, in other words, I was completely busy.
BUT. Admist all of the chaos, one morning it just came, I was sitting on a deck chair, took out my phone and wrote it all out. 
Marriage is an honorable state of living , I believe God ordained it for a Man and a Woman, I also believe that it is the bed-rock and skeletal structure for society everywhere. I by no means completely understand the words below , because I have not yet lived it, but I hope that this will shed light on God's view of marriage. I just wrote what I heard,


Here it is : 'Till death do us part'

You promised to love with all your heart,to cherish and obey.
To honour each other with all your lives and conquer come what may.

You promised to share all that you had, in all generosity give.
To lead yourselves in the way of The Cross, honour God in the way you live.

You took to each other two hands to hold, in thoughts, deeds and in heart.
To keep their clasp close to yours and never be apart.

To protect and defend with eternity to end ,
For richer for poorer you promised,
To remember the bond always shared, the annuals never missed.

In health and sickness - you made a vow, the day you said 'I do'.
The love you felt that day indeed was the start of something new,

A family, a life, a purpose hidden eternal through and through.
A love so deep- cannot be found on Earth, but in the heart of God so true.

And in times when that wains, you remember the promise you sealed above,
So that's it not your love that sustains your marriage, but your marriage that sustains your love.


By Lakechia JeanneDoPoetry©

No comments:

Post a Comment